Signal Corps Aviation
The Success of the Wright
aeroplane (airplane) led to the formation of the Aeronautical Division in
the Signal Corps. In 1907, specification 483, was prepared and proposals
invited for a heavier-than-air machine, speed 40 mph, to remain in the air
one hour and to be under control at all times. Competing for the contracts
were the Wright brothers and A.M. Herring
The act of July 18, 1914,
authorized an Aviation Section of the Signal Corps. The available air
resources of the Army were put at the disposal of the Punitive Expedition
into Mexico in 1916. The high altitudes and dry atmosphere caused propeller
difficulties, which for a while nullified the flight operations. The few
machines on hand were rapidly used up.
In 1911, the first Army
Aviation School opened at College Park, Maryland, moving to Augusta,
Georgia, during the winter.
The Signal Corps winter
flight school was located in Augusta, Georgia from 1911 to 1913. Augusta
was selected as the winter flight school due to the mild winter climate.
Unfortunately the winter of 1911-1912 proved to be an exception. Heavy
snows fell and in the spring excessive rainfall caused flooding. On 13
December 1913, the flight school moved to San Diego, California.
On 24 April 1918, the Signal Corps lost its aviation duties.
Last modified on:
|Our site and Section 508||Please read the privacy and security notice|